Silk Road Arts, Crafts, and Food Experiences
2021 and 2022
Welcome to Azerbaijan, a fascinating Silk Road country in the heart of the Caucasus, boasting exquisite artisanal works waiting to be discovered! Witness colorful glass mosaic shebeke, carpet weaving and intricate embroidery, modern art, silk production, textile design, ornate jewelry, musical instrument building, mugham singing and upbeat regional dances, centuries-old cooking and baking techniques, and so much more! You are in the right place!
A tradition of producing artisanal goods in Azerbaijan has been in existence for centuries and is deeply embedded in the country’s culture and history. No wonder, as the ancient Silk Road passed through the region sitting at the crossroads of Asia and Europe.
Our trip takes you to places well-known as well as those seldom visited to meet a wealth of talented artisans who zealously guard their centuries-old crafts and folk art traditions passed down through the generations, as well as creators of modern art enthusiastic about sharing their knowledge. You will have the opportunity to see craftsmen at work, observing their meticulous skills and practices that most learn at a young age. Also get to know artisans dedicated to bettering the lives of others by creating workplaces for the skilled rural population.
Food, of course, is an artisanal element on its own, which helps one gain a deeper understanding of the culture it belongs too. Enjoy lively market visits in the countryside—discover stalls brimming with the seasonal produce, including pomegranates, quince, feijoa, medlars, apples, and more! Meet with enthusiastic locals engaged in organic farming and indulge in authentic regional specialties served in the homes of the locals. Sip on piping-hot Azerbaijani tea in curvaceous glasses, while enjoying enchanting folk music and dazzling dance performances.
In the artisan Azerbaijan, folk traditions are exquisite, food is incredible, and guests are treated like royalty! We welcome you with open arms and invite you to make yourself at home!
Why Travel With Us
- Once-in-a-Lifetime Experience: We offer 100% authentic, immersive journeys and make you feel at home in the Caucasus.
- Expertise: We have a deep passion for and understanding of our culture and we work tirelessly on the ground and behind the scenes to bring it to you.
- Community Support: We care for our communities and support family-run businesses and artisans.
- Sustainable Tourism: We make a positive impact on the local society, economy, and environment.
- Unforgettable Connections: We travel in small groups allowing for our travelers to connect and make friends with one another and with the locals.
- Quick Details
- Tour Highlights
- Tour Price
- What's Included
- Not Included
- Important Notes
- Pre-Tour or Post-Tour Options
- Private Tour Considerations
- Tour leader: TBD
- Dates: September 22–October 3, 2021 and 2022
- Length: 12 days, 11 nights
- 2021 and 2022 Arrival: September 22, Baku
- 2021 and 2022 Departure: October 3, Baku
- Group Size: Limited to 12 participants
- Meet artists, artisans, and craftsmen
- UNESCO-heritage sites
- National Carpet Museum
- Artisan traditions in ethnic villages (Tat, Talysh, etc.)
- Medieval caravanserai in Baku and Sheki
- Carpet factories
- Silk factory and silk scarf making demo
- Trip to a farmer's market
- Cooking classes at home with the locals
- Baklava and bread baking demos
- Goychay, pomegranate capital of Azerbaijan
- Live ethnic folklore performances (dances, songs)
- Garden tours
- House tours
- – and many more!
$4,100 if you register before March 1, 2021 (for 2021 tour) or March 1 , 2021 (for 2022 tour)
Registration (deposit) deadline: April 30, 2021 (for 2021 tour) or April 30, 2022 (for 2022 tour)
* Double occupancy prices per person apply when there are two people sharing a room. The single supplement applies to travelers who require their own room. Solo travelers who wish to avoid the single supplement and share a room with another solo traveler should notify us and we will do our best to accommodate the request.
**If you missed the deadline, please contact us at email@example.com to check for availability and we will accommodate you if there is space.
- Tour leadership by Feride Buyuran or other qualified leader
- Arrival and departure transfers (only on scheduled arrival and departure dates)
- 11 nights’ accommodation in 3- and 4-star hotels and guesthouses (e.g. family-run rustic guesthouses in villages)
- All daily meals with group: breakfast, lunch, dinner, except arrival day meals, which are independent. Lunch and dinner on the departure day are also independent
- Complimentary bottles of water, daily
- All ground transportation, including private air-conditioned Mercedes Sprinter van or similar
- Official guided tours, including site admissions
- Private cooking classes/demos, market trips
- Wine tastings as noted in the itinerary
- Folklore performances and entertainment
- International airfare to and from Baku
- Travel insurance, overseas medical insurance, or trip cancellation insurance
- Visa and passport fees (if applicable)
- Transfers to and from airports for travelers who arrive and depart independently, not on scheduled arrival and departure dates
- Extra meals, snacks, and beverages
- Alcoholic beverages (other than in wine tastings and with some (!) of the meals included in the itinerary)
- Souvenirs or any personal purchases
- Excursions, services, and activities not included in the itinerary
- Personal hotel expenses, such as laundry, telephone calls, faxes, or e-mail service
- Tips to hotel staff for luggage assistance or other personal services
- Tips to local guides, performers, drivers
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to to request the full tour brochure with itinerary and registration form.
This intimate, friendly tour will have a maximum of 12 PARTICIPANTS to ensure the best possible experience.
The tour is 12 days and 11 nights. including the arrival and departure days from Baku. The tour dates are September 22–October 3, 2021 and 2022.
Stay in 3- and 4-star hotels and guesthouses, selected for their location, service, and atmosphere, and level of comfort. Your accommodation will reflects the culture and personality of your destination – such as, a historic building now hotel in Baku’s Old Town and a rustic family-owned guesthouse, designed in the local style, in the remote village of Lahij or another village. Note that the tour price is based on double occupancy. If you are a single traveler, we highly recommend that you register early as the number of single rooms available on the tour may be limited.
Activity Level – Moderate
General fitness level is required for the tour, which involves a good amount of walking on uneven surfaces and over difficult terrain such as cobblestones and steep city hills, as well as hiking hills and climbing stairs at locations not always accessible by car. Be ready for early morning wake-ups (particularly to travel to far destinations) and other typical travel-related scenarios. This tour is suitable for travelers who are in good health, are physically fit, and comfortable with long days of touring.
Food on the Tour
Food is one of the highlights of the tour. Although the itinerary does not provide detailed menus, rest assured that you will find yourself in a foodie paradise! On the registration form, please list your tastes and preferences and dietary restrictions, if any, so that our menus reflect your choices.
Information Package & Reading List
In advance of your trip, you will receive an information package to help you better prepare for the tour, including details about obtaining a visa, local currencies, clothing and packing tips, airport guidelines, and other know-hows. You will also receive the final tour itinerary and a list of suggested reading.
Please check our FAQ page.
Add extra days to spend in Baku before or after the tour—there is a lot to see and experience. You can choose to focus on the city's architecture, history, culture or other aspects.
We can customize this tour to make it your own and even include the neighboring Georgia. Just let us know!
RegistrationTo register for the tour and secure your spot:
1. A deposit of $1,000 per person must be submitted using the button below BY APRIL 30, 2021 (for the 2021 tour) or BY APRIL 30, 2022 (for the 2022 tour). If you don’t have a PayPal® account, please click on the ‘Pay with Debit or Credit Card’ button on the following screen. (Note that both the screen and your credit card statement will display AZ Cookbook as the charging party.) The deposit can also be paid by check (details on the registration form). The sooner you save your spot, the more chances you have to join the tour, as space is limited!
2. Print the tour registration form we send you, then sign it and and mail (or email) it to us.
3. The balance $3,200 (plus single supplement) is due by June 22, 2021 (for the 2021 tour) or by June 22, 2022 (for the 2022 tour). Please pay by check (details on registration form) or by direct bank transfer (request details). Alternatively, pay via Paypal by credit card (request link), but add 3% Paypal charge.